Friday, August 29, 2008

Kerry's Visit

Kerry, Mike & Sam, Jake and Ally flew back to Ohio with me on Aug. 8th from SLC. We sure had a good time. I had driven the Jeep up to the Columbus Airport and parked it to fly into SLC and attend Andra's wedding/reception. When we all returned to Columbus...Bill drove the quad-cab truck up and Mike and the boys drove home with Bill and Kerry and Ally drove with me and the luggage in the Jeep. We got back about 8:30 p.m. or so...and decided the night was just starting. I went swimming with the boys and then after Kerry got Ally down for the night...the boys and Kerry and grandma went on a trek around the lake...looking for monsters in the dark -- flashlights & all !! Oh what fun we had. The next morning was an Antique Tractor parade in Harveysburg about 5 miles from here. Mike experienced "Jesus" like he never had before, as he met humble, honest and long time residents of Corwin and Waynesville, Ohio. You'll have to ask him about that ~ Mike and the boys rode the ole' antique tractor with rear seats...in the parade with Bill driving ...and then I rode back on it with Bill. That night was lightening bug catching, just like Addison had done with me...and of course more hunting for "creatures". Reminded me so much of Kris when he was 5 & 7 yrs. old...looking for such things with him...and also watching the stars at night with Dan and Rob. Fun for sure. The boys found a big frog and made another "aquarium" like when Dan was here. They soon caught a smaller frog and put them in the same "house". However the next morning there was only ONE BIG FROG!! Go figure! Sam is one heck of a swimmer and I think we just might see him at the Olympics!! (He really is good!). Everyday he was in the water...along with Jake in a life jacket...and he went everywhere in it while Sam did some serious swimming...always jumping in the deep end...and going all around with no fear, of course. They had Ally in a lifejacket all the time around the pool...just in case. Good thinking!! Good parents. Mike helped Bill with more clearing of brush...I think Bill worked him to pieces! And....with lots of the landscaping around the front flower garden that Dan & Suzanne had helped with, etc. Thank you Mike...it looks so nice. Kerry and I went shopping the following Wednesday and stopped for lunch at Frisch's in Lebanon. While we were eating...I got a cell phone call from Otterbein/Lebanon. They told me that "Your mom has taken a turn for the worse" and that I probably should come by. So Kerry and I left for Otterbein after eating and cancelled the shopping for that day. Mom had stopped eating and was under 90 lbs. She didn't know me...but I think she felt my presence. When Dan and Suzanne and Addison visited in July...grandma had recognized Dan...and smiled at Suzanne and sat holding Addison's hand while they looked into each others blue eyes. Grandma kept saying .."Oh my, oh my". The afternoon that Kerry and I arrived, grandma also knew Kerry...as she had Kelly in June and Holly. As I left to go to the nurses station, Kerry told me that grandma reached over and took her hand and put it to her heart. We stayed for a while and I decided to go home and rest for the night. I went down again after lunch on Thursday, Aug. 14th. I stayed with mom until she passed away at 2:35 a.m. the following morning on Aug. 15th. It was a beautiful experience, actually. I was holding her head on a pillow and had layed it back down, just holding her hand. The hospice nurse was telling me what was happening...and told me it was time to tell her "good-bye". I kissed her forehead and said "Good-bye" mom...it's time to go hold your baby boy (...re;my brother Tom that died when he was 2 days old ...68 yrs. ago). Mom took another breath and slipped away very easily. Kelly told me that that morning after finding out about grandma...that she had a dream or kind of a thought of seeing Grandpa McMillan and a little boy standing and waiting while grandma walked toward them. I'm sure this is just what happened. I watched them dress mom in some blue clothes I had taken out of her closet (she had had a gown on & I wanted her in her favorite color blue)...and then stayed for about 1/2 hr. with her. I got home about 4:00 a.m. - when I walked in the door and into the hallway...Kerry came down the stairs and had been waiting up for me. It meant the world to me to have one of my children here. God works in his own way for us, doesn't he? I slept until about 2 p.m. - Friday afternoon. Saturday morning, Kerry, Uncle Johnny and I went to the funeral home down town and made arrangements. I had all expenses taken care of about 6 yrs. ago...but we took pictures, names for the obituary, etc. The following days seem hazy to me now. All the Fullers were to return home Aug. 18th. I made arrangements to have Kerry and Ally stay over one more day so they could attend the funeral. Bill drove Mike and boys to Columbus the morning of the 18th...then back for the viewing that evening. The morning of grandma's funeral, Aug. 19th, we arrived about 9:30 a.m. My cousin Dorothy took Ally for a walk in the stroller so Kerry could sit with me and also stand with me and tell about mom/grandma. Kerry did such a beautiful job...and did it for all of her siblings. Kerry was the only one of my children that wasn't at her dad's funeral (on a mission) --- and the only one that was able to be at my mom's /her grandma's. We went with the McMillan's and Downey's that had attended the funeral to eat at the Amish restaurant in Waynesville for lunch and then Bill drove Kerry and Ally to Columbus to catch the plane back to Boise. I am so thankful that things worked out the way they did. It has been one busy summer of visitors, well I should say "year"....Heidi, Dave, Dain and Aubry came last November to visit. Heather was with us over the holidays ( & it was wonderful ). Kelly and the whole family came June 3-10th. Bill's son Mike and wife Tamara, and 3 boys visited July 4-7th. Holly, Aidan & Halle stayed with us July 12th - 19th while Martin got things moved out to AZ. Dan and family came July 21-29th. I have loved it all. As I do things I realize that I'm getting some older and have more aches and pains...or rather "am" those things! But...that's the way it goes. I wouldn 't trade this time of life for anything...and am thankful that there is a place I now have to welcome my children and friends. I'll just hibernate all winter on the farm now and rest up for life's next events, as I'm sure they will come. I'm trying to start reading more, doing some sketching and enjoy being with my constant "friends", Peanut and Buster. Oh yeah...Bill too:} P. S. - Can't rest just yet...The "McMillan Reunion" is here at the farm this Sunday...then I'm flying out to Boise on Sept. 5th to attend Erin's wedding/reception. I hear Dallan is planning on leaving on his mission next April...and so it goes. Love to all of you. Mom/Grandma Line P. S. S. - I almost forgot our "celebration party" the night before Mike and the boys left. The boys and I had been watching "Nanny McPhee"?? I believe it was called before so much had happened ...and we all 3 looked at each other & thought "food fight"!! I had always wanted to do that (when my children grew up, of course). Well, we planned it very very carefully and so Sunday evening we planned our "surprise party". We had iced cupcakes with lots and lots of sprinkles on the icing and about 12 cups of jello. We sat the "party" up out in the back yard with very washable chairs, etc. from the pool area. We called mom, dad and grandpa Bill to come to our "party". At the appropriate time, grandma here, "winked" at Sam and then he and Jake yelled "Food fight"!!!!! Boy was it fun!!!!! Just ask them. We have pictures too. Now just so this won't sound irreverant or something (we had this "party" the day before grandma's viewing/funeral, etc.) -- I told them that when my grandpa Downey had died when I was 19 yrs. old (he was the only grandparent I knew, as the rest died before I was born)....the family came home from his funeral and played a "baseball game" in his honor. I am sure that grandma Mac just "loved" the food fight in her honor!!! --

1 comment:

Garity said...

I'm so glad you posted about Kerry's visit. I let out a whoop when I logged into your blog and saw you had more stuff.
Love you!