Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lost in the 50's

Well...I'm back blogging because I can't sleep. This happens with me at times (I hate it)...wonderful that one can blog or email anytime of the day/night. Wow...have things changed in my time or what?I received an email from an old friend several days ago...kind of a "lost in the fifties" thing. What a memory trip. No a/c, lightning bugs for nightlights in the summer (there used to be so many more before fertilizer started being used on the lawns, etc.) - I was 10 when the announcement came from Pres. Eisenhower, that inter-state roads would be built across the nation. Until then we had 2 lanes...seldom saw 4. Everyone stayed close to home. I remember looking at the stars with my dad at night and searching for the "little dipper"...and "big dipper"...it was magic! The moon....was just something we laid in the lawn and tried to imagine what was "up there"...."man in the moon"...no one knew for sure. Our class was the last class of the 50's here in Waynesville. Our 50th class reunion is going to be held May 23rd. Thirty six in our class and I married 2 of them. Shut up. Ok...then I went through high school, worked at a bank after graduation and went to the Dayton Art Institute in the evenings and took a bus across town to stay with my Aunt Mabel (Dorothy Carter's mom) at night. I finally saved up enough money to put myself through one year at Ohio Universtiy and majored in Art - loved it and could have easily became quite a "hippy"...but Charlie and I were going together and decided to marry when we were 21. We got married on his birthday, Sept. 22nd - he didn't want his father there and I didn't want to lose him so we married in the methodist church and then I went to work as manager of a dry cleaners in Athens and put him through the rest of his schooling (I wanted my kids to have an educated dad). Kelly was born in March of the year Charlie graduated and we left for Montana in August, 64' I'm getting sleepy and have gotten off track. Going back to bed with my 2 yorkies. Later. Mom February 25, 2009 2:06 AM

5 comments:

Holly said...

Hey momma! I like it! I think you should write down stories and memories here when you can. Love to hear more!

Janet said...

Thanks Holly.....I'll do so when I can't sleep....so you surely can expect more on the subject!

Garity said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS! Mom has a new post! Ok, so it's been on a while but I haven't checked it for a while. I enjoy these kinds of posts too. Maybe us kids-in-law and kids should send you a question (every month? week?) for you to post about. I know I'd love to know more stuff like this about you!

Janet said...

Garity - I think that is a good idea you have ...send the questions and I'll try and come up with more "good stuff". I have journals from 76' - 87'...I think it is. All about the kids growing up in Denver - I can't believe I did some of it-ha... I was good:} I am going to be sending them to Holly as she wants to be "The Keeper of the Journals"...I think she called it. She will share:|Love, Mom

Mike, Kerry, Sam or Jake said...

so I really need to check your blog more often. Good tales from good times.